SEND at South Street Community Primary School
South Street Community Primary School is a mainstream school in Gateshead We want to ensure that all the children in our school can be included in all aspects of their education and they are all able to learn, play, develop and succeed. We also want all parents/ carers to be fully included within their child’s education and be fully informed and involved with all the ways their child is supported within school.
In our school we educate children with a variety of different needs such as:
- Children who present with Speech and language needs
- Children who present with Social and emotional needs
- Children who present with visual impairments
- Children who present with Hearing impairments
- Children who present with Physical disabilities
- Children who present with cerebal palsy
- Children who present with dyspraxia
- Children who present with autistic spectrum disorder
At South Street we have many different ways in which we can support those children with additional needs
- Tracking and assessment of each child’s learning to identify areas requiring extra support and barriers to learning. Staff can meet with the Headteacher, Senior Leadership Team, Phase Leaders and SENDCO to discuss strategies and interventions which can be put in place to support each child.
- Children identified as having additional needs will have a Learning Plan to record their targets and the interventions that will be used to achieve them.
- Support within the classroom through use of resources such as visual aids, word walls, task management boards and the use of Teachers and Teaching assistants to support in small groups and sometimes on a 1-1 basis
- We recognize that children with social and emotional needs sometimes require additional support so that they can be happy and succeed at school. We have staff trained to deliver Emotional Literacy Support interventions in the whole class setting, small groups and on a 1-1 basis. We have our own ELSA room which children can visit to relax, chat and work through their difficulties with specially trained staff. We also recognize that children need the opportunity to relax, play and rest and so provide a number of clubs within school and after school e.g. Football, Chill and Chat, Lego Club, Arts and Crafts, Games and Music lessons
We also welcome in to our school other professionals who can support those children with additional needs such as:
- Educational Psychology team
- Primary Behavior Support team
- Speech and Language Therapists
- RISE counselling
- High Incident Needs Team (HINT)
- Low Incident Needs Team (LINT
- Occupational Therapists
We want to ensure that all parents/carers of those children with additional needs are fully involved. We have review meetings to discuss the support in place and next steps and also so parents can meet with all staff and professional agencies involved with their child. This means that parents can address any concerns and ask any questions they may have.
Support for parents
Our Headteacher is Ms Lynne Wales who can be contacted on 0191 4773993.
Our SENDCO is Mrs Liz Tyrie who can be contacted on 0191 4773993.
Our Family Support worker is Mrs Susan Mulhatton who can be contacted on 0191 4773993.
Parents/carers can also contact Gateshead SENDIASS for free impartial, confidential, information and advice for children aged 0-25 and their parents and carers where a child or young person has or may have special educational needs. They can be contacted on 0191 478 4667
The Gateshead Local offer also describes the support available within the authority for children with special educational needs and /or disabilities. This can be viewed at www.gateshead.gov.uk